Wednesday, May 23, 2012

REMEMBERING TO SMILE (UNIT 8)

While my blog initially started out with quite a general, open theme (always seems easier but can leave things 'too' open versus a specific topic/theme), over the last few units I've come to find myself writing posts on the things I think are important to remember, and just things that can make life easier, more enjoyable and stress free.  I personally am always trying to find ways to relax, de-stress and stay focused, remembering that while things can seem so chaotic at times, there is always a calm at the end of the storm, and that in fact chaos can be a very motivating thing as long as we know how to 'deal' with it.

On that note, I wanted to write a post about something that keeps popping up; through Instagram, Tumblr, personal experiences, etc.  I recently have kept coming across little sayings about smiling.  Yep, smiling.  Simple, not something we ever think about but rather something we do without thought; an automatic human instinct and reaction.  Or do we do it as often as we think?  I was going through an Instagram that I regularly follow and discovered a little snippet of advice: "Smile - it confuses people."  I immediately thought, 'that's silly, people smile all the time, so why would it catch someone off guard?'  But after a few minutes, I realized it was true.

After that, I started paying attention to 'smiling.'  As I walked down the street, I took the time to look at peoples faces.  For the most part, everyone seemed pretty smile-free, especially those by themselves.  Of course, someone would have no reason to be smiling if they were quickly trying to get to work or school, but then again, what wouldn't they have to smile about?  Maybe not everything in their lives (or mine, for that matter!  I applied this to myself, as well) justified a smile, but there had to be at least one thing.  And even though these smile-less folks didn't seem overly sad, they didn't seem overly happy either.

Next I began to focus on the smiles I was seeing; people smiling for what seemed to be no reason at all, friends laughing with each other, boyfriends and girlfriends smiling at their significant others, and my favorite of all: people smiling at their phones.  I know that sounds weird, but think about it.  Whenever I see someone looking at their phone and suddenly breaking out a huge smile, it always makes me wonder what they're looking at that made them happy enough to smile like that.  I think it's something we've all done at least once, or I know I have (but more like a million times).  When I happen to be the one smiling from a text, message, or whatever, I know that it always feels really good.  Whether it be a simple little text or huge, amazing news, it's a great feeling.  But I ended up enjoying these smiles the most, partially because I couldn't help but smile at the person smiling.

So yes, we all smile or laugh throughout our days, but think about how much we don't smile.  Sometimes we forget how uplifting it can be, whether it's us doing the smiling or simply seeing someone else smile.  It's truly something that, if even for a second, can bring a bit of light to a bad day, enhance an already great day, or just make someone else feel good.  It sounds corny, but seriously - don't forget to smile every once in a while.

One of my favorite quotes:


Cheers,

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment - I love receiving suggestions, comments & critiques in order to better my readers/viewers experience!