Thursday, May 3, 2012

BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY: HELLO LA


Touched down in LaLa Land last night!  My stepsister picked me up from the airport and we went and had an awesome dinner somewhere in Silver Lake (the name is escaping me at the moment); jalapeño mac & cheese, croque monsieurs and some good wine...

I didn't realize how big Los Angeles is.  I haven't been here for years, and the last time I was it was on the freeway booking it to Arizona with a jam-packed car full of my stuff.  It's very 'gridlock-looking,' especially flying in at night, but also so pretty - like coming down on a massive Christmas tree or something - everything sparkled.

Looks much different in the day now - woke up to 'wild parrots' (which literally scream; I didn't mind it - I'm used to the seagulls in the morning in Seattle so bird noises don't bother me) and palm trees.  I enjoy the scenery and environment much more than I anticipated, although I haven't had to experience any of the infamous traffic yet.  The hills dip up and down and have a city-jungle feel to them, with small, very narrow, winding roads, mexican-ish casas that still have a retro feel.  All the houses are packed together but not in a claustrophobic way because each one is different from the next...almost has a 'Capital Hill in LA' vibe to it.

Has anyone else ever been to LA or lived here?  I would love to get some insight on good restaurants, cool parks or fun things to do here!

Cheers,

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment - I love receiving suggestions, comments & critiques in order to better my readers/viewers experience!